Counting to her 2nd Birthday!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Counting to his 3rd Birthday!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

[Xiang 2y7m] Right, or Wrong

Last Saturday, we brought our kids to the playground in the evening to shed off some of their energy (and end up our energy too!!!). Xiang did not want to use the stairs and insisted to “walk” up the tube-type slide. We were trying to stop him at first, making angry faces and telling him he’ll disturb other children who were sliding down and might even hurt himself. Guess how did he react? He stood beside the slide, giving us a pity look and not willing to move a step. No matter how we coaxed him afterwards, that climbing up the ropes seems fun, or the swing is available, or even threatening that we should go back home instead, he just wouldn't move at all and shaked his head, saying “不要!” after our each suggestions.

Finally with a sigh, I took off his shoes, put him inside the slide tube, with a light pat on his backside and told him “没有人下来了… Go Go Go!!!” He reacted like an animal with his chain untied, dashing up the slide. When he reached the top and emerged from the tube, he waved to us and gave us a big bright smile.

Seeing him like this makes me think again. We adults are making and following all the rules. Who says the slide can be only played one way sliding down? Why not going up instead? The kid is creative in his playing while all I think of is “that is not right”. I’ve sent him to music class in order to expose him to creativity, but I’m blocking him in real life, aren’t it contradictory?

I still have a lot to learn about holding back my “no”s and my “don’t”s. The straighter I am with my boy, the more he’ll resist. I guess that if he did hurt himself along the way, it’s just part of growing, and even if so, he’ll learn from it. Who actually went through childhood without a scratch? If I did not give in to his wishes earlier on, I wonder how the story would end? Dragging a crying toddler back home most probably and I’ll sure miss his big bright smile!


Note: I usually post up in my multiply but I doesn't know why sometimes it doesn't link to my blogspot. Anyway, so many mommies over there provide their thoughts on this and it's really useful for me. Do hop over to see it [Click here]

1 comment:

jazzmint said...

ya..i guess it's better to let them roam freely. It's certainly dangerous to do it, but we also need to think bout them being able to fall and get up again. it's all part of learning. So we just gotta be near, so that when they fall, we can hold them. And constantly tell them careful careful all the time.